SEGUEIX-NOS A LES XARXES SOCIALS:
Capella del Carme (Carme Chapel) is located right next to the train station. The chapel was built thanks to Elvira Gibert de Pi in order to enable the workers of the railway company, which was chaired by her father Manuel Gibert, to go to church on Sundays. In 1879 she managed to get the works finished thanks to the financial contributions of the wealthiest holidaymakers, who soon made it their place of worship since they felt that the parish church was too far away. The first Mass was held on 3 July 1882. It is a historical-style church with a Greek-cross plan. Its architect was Laureà Arroyo, and the builder was Magí Ribes. The main façade faces the sea, forever reminding us of her vocation and origin.
Carrer d’El Callao Street
In the second half of the 19th century, Caldes received a large number of visitors from illustrious and wealthy families who set up their summer homes in the town. This first wave of summer holidaymakers built their homes on the streets of Santa Teresa, La Santema and El Callao (previously Carrer del Carme). This last street became very busy after the arrival of the railway in 1857, with people having their luggage taken from the station to their home or inn in coaches, especially in summer.
The type of home these holidaymakers had was structurally very similar to the houses in the sea neighbourhood. The differences resided in the ornaments on the façades and in the quality of the materials.
The construction of the N-II road elevated bridge over the railway (1967) definitively transformed the appearance of the houses on El Callao and Santa Teresa streets, as well as the quality of life of their residents.